Thursday, February 4, 2016

Skipping single-player campaigns?

I never really loved the whole multi-player or competitive scene, or claimed. When I played games quite actively I mainly played two genres, jrpgs and platformers. I did on occasion play other games but the idea of first-person was just repulsive to me. And yes I actually mean that literary I hated fps. As the genre grew it became more and more popular with a strong multi-player mode and soon enough this were done over the Internet. I didn't care much about it and instead I played most every jrpg on the PlayStation. 

Then there came mmorpgs which actually tickled my interest and after resistance for some time I tried world of warcraft and played for years. Today I still love a great story, gameplay and general feeling of a game but I am not estranged to multi-player, esports and the likes it might just not be what I prefer playing myself.

On to the point, I've read some debate on dropping the single-player campaign in games which actually aren't even designed for one. Games like starters battlefront and the rest of the battlefield franchise, and games like that which obviously are designed for multi-player. I believe that it's super reasonable if anything it might ensure some well needed quality control (which in itself is a topic of discussion).

So wouldn't it be natural that games like starcraft, battlefield, cod and so on may well skip single-player? Actually no, many players feel ripped of without a single-player mode. I wonder why, just legacy or is there a need unfilled when leaving out single-player? I will leave those as open questions because I don't really have an answer. If we look at it the other way it's been popular to try and cram some multi-player elements into games which is obviously designed as single-player games.

Such as xenoblade chronicles x where there are elements put in which in ways help the gameplay but in many regards I believe it give the feeling that there were a meeting where some executive (it's always some executive! ;)) said: "ok, kids today like multi-player we need online options figure it out". Perhaps I am misinformed and mainly cynical.

Anyhow I feel excited about the growth in competitive gaming, speed running and the lets-play culture. I will talk more about let's play later since it's a fun topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment